RJ Landau Partners has extensive experience in the litigation and investigation of matters involving public education, with a special emphasis in matters of board governance, fraud, discipline, First Amendment, discrimination, charter school oversight, and special education. The firm’s attorneys have represented traditional public schools, charter schools, charter school authorizers and parents. The firm’s attorneys have decades of experience in public education and have served in positions of responsibility on boards, including on the secondary and post-secondary levels.
The firm has frequently been called upon by boards and those entities to which they report in order to address the complex issues confronted by educational institutions today. Representative matters handled by the firm’s attorneys include:
- Assisting boards in compliance with the Open Meetings Act (OMA) and the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA).
- Providing guidance to a charter school board allowing it to continue operating while subject to a Notice of Intent to Revoke by its authorizer.
- Providing regular guidance to public school special education staff on matters related to the interpretation and implementation of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA).
- Overseeing all aspects of the dissolution of a charter school, including the successful conveyance of the school property in satisfaction of substantial unpaid bond debt.
- Representing parents and students in disciplinary proceedings on the college and university level.
- Guiding a public school board through serial investigations into alleged violations of Section 504 by the United States Department of Education Office for Civil Rights (OCR).
- Assisting a board in successfully responding to an audit into its Information Technology purchasing practices initiated by the Universal Service Administrative Company (USAC).