RJ Landau Partners attorneys have decades of experience in all phases of commercial litigation. Its litigation experience encompasses the full spectrum of commercial disputes, from routine contract and tort matters, through complex matters involving civil rights, trade secret and intellectual property law. Its attorneys have represented its commercial litigation clients in every phase of the litigation process, from factual investigations of potential claims, through discovery, mediation and, if necessary, trial. The firm’s posture in litigation is to forcefully assert its client’s position, whether as plaintiff or as defendant.
Whatever role the firm is asked to assume in litigation, the firm’s attorneys understand that commercial litigation requires an intimate understanding of an enterprise’s operations, goals and resources. The firm’s attorneys balance these factors in every decision made during the litigation process. Representative matters handled by the firm’s attorneys include:
- The successful defense of a sales representative’s claims for a substantial commission, including prevailing in the Michigan Supreme Court.
- Prevailing in a dispute over the inventorship of LED technology in the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
- Securing a recovery for a petroleum company against its commercial insurer in excess of policy limits in the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
- Affirming the dismissal of a putative class action on preemption grounds in the Michigan Court of Appeals.
- Extensive experience in defending and pursuing civil rights claims which implicate First Amendment issues, disability discrimination and claims arising under 42 U.S.C. §1983.
- The successful defense on standing grounds of a labor union’s statutory challenge to a community college’s ability to charter schools, including prevailing in the Michigan Court of Appeals.